To adapt in this fast-changing world, Project Management professionals not only need essential project management skills and knowledge, but also professional certificates to ensure they are ready to meet the challenging needs of an ever evolving dynamic and highly competitive business landscape.
Unlike formal qualifications, professional certificates are normally associated with the industry and are required to be updated regularly. For example, a Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate issued by PMI, is one of the most recognised certificates worldwide.
In Australia, the Australian Institute of Project Management (AIPM) is the largest institute of Project Management. AIPM is made up of nearly 8000 project professionals across Australia and internationally. Their members range from students starting out in their career to leaders in the project management world.
Like PMI, AIPM has its own certificate levels. AIPM offers certifications across different career stages:
- Certified Practising Project Practitioner (CPPP),
- Certified Practising Project Manager (CPPM),
- Certified Practising Senior Project Manager (CPSPM),
- Certified Practising Project Director (CPPD), and
- Certified Practising Portfolio Executive (CPPE).
In this article, we will focus on the CPPP level, which is the most common certificate level.
Certified Practising Project Practitioner (CPPP)
If you are a team member who works on projects and contributes to the management of projects, then this is the suitable level for you. As a project team member, you might be involved in managing one or several project areas (schedule, cost, quality, etc), and you may also contribute to project monitoring and have involvement in control activities.
How to become a CPPP?
- Entry Requirements: Member of AIPM
- via assessments: $1490 (including GST)
- via automatic recognition: $ 240 (including GST)
- Period of validity: 3 years
To apply as certified project manager at CPPP level, first you need to become a member of AIPM at an Associate or Member level. AIPM charge $460 per year for their Member level membership and $430 per year for their Associate level. You can apply for their membership here.
As a member of AIPM, you will be able to access their various membership benefits:
- Certification and industry recognition
- Gain access to career opportunities – AIPM is partnered with ProNexus whose personalised and curated project management jobs marketplace is designed for both project management companies and professionals.
- Events and webinars at discounted rates – Make new connections in your industry, sector or location with access to leading project management events and presentations. New members can access one webinar for free!
- Project management resource hub – Access our resource hub for best practices, emerging trends and insights including project management guides, e-books, articles and our digital magazine, Paradigm Shift.
You can learn more about their membership benefit here.
AIPM also have their assessment process for applicants who apply the certificate with them. Applicants are assigned an AIPM assessor and are required to submit their assessment evidence to the assessor within six (6) months from the date of application. The assessment will focus on the applicant’s project management practical experience and the applicant will also be required to submit relevant workplace evidence and documentation. One of the drawbacks of this assessment method is that a lot of applicants may not be able to provide their workplace evidence due to confidential reasons or a lack of sufficient documentation, there is however another process to become a Certified Practitioner.
AIPM can provide automatic recognition of CPPP for applicants who have completed a course or have received certification from an approved training provider. This process not only saves you time in preparing the assessment evidence, but also reduces the application fee.
As an AIPM approved training provider, Living Planit provides the BSB51415 Diploma of Project Management course which is both nationally recognised as well as AIPM endorsed. Our trainer Madeleine Pathe is an industry expert with over 25 years of IT, Business Project Management and Consulting experience in both the public and private sectors. She is also a certified AIPM assessor up to a Program Director level.
When comparing formal training qualifications vs work experience, formal education is increasingly viewed as an essential in certain industries to ensure you have built a solid foundation of project management skills and knowledge along with relevant work experience. In order to adapt and thrive in our current market, you should always look at opportunities to upskill and diversify your skills. That is why most of our students have chosen to obtain their CPPP certificate along with a formal BSB51415 Diploma of Project Management qualification.
As the impact of COVID-19 is being recognised in Australia, it is crucial to look to the future and beyond. Plan for the coming months but also plan for the post pandemic world by ensuring you have the qualifications and certificates to help you succeed in your future projects.